For boating enthusiasts, the hot summer temperatures lead to more time on the water. Your use will be heavy and your boat needs to be able to stand up to the demands of increased use. That is why there are types of boat repair in Hesperia, CA that you should seek out before enjoying the summer boating season. Here are six considerations to making your water adventures fun and safe:
- Safety equipment: Expect the best, but prepare for the worst—that is the principle safety equipment embraces. However, it will not be prepared for the worst if it is in ill repair. Check your life jackets to assure they are not worn out. Do the same with your life preserver just in case you have to throw one out this summer. Also, give your hull a good look-over for major damage and check stanchion, pulpits and lifelines.
- Inboard engine needs: Change the oil and filters and keep some spares onboard in case you have an incident while at the dock. Also inspect belts for tension since one breaking off can leave your vehicle dead in the water. Clean fuel filters will help with efficiency, as well as a working bilge blower. Fluids, including transmission fluid, should be clean and topped off.
- Outboard motors and their needs: If your boat has an outboard motor, replace the spark plugs and check the condition of the wires. You will also want to check the fuel lines, primer bulb and tank for leaks. Any problems with spark plug wires or fuel lines need to be addressed by an experienced boat mechanic. Lubricate the moveable parts and you will be good to go.
- Battery and electrical inspection: You need a working battery, and if wondering when you last replaced it draws a big blank, chances are, you need a new one. Buy a new one and be safe rather than sorry. Inspect the battery water level, as that will help determine the life of your battery, too. Other electrical items needing consideration include gauges, shore power, fuses and lighting fixtures, especially navigation lights. If you find corrosion or quirks that cannot be explained, make an appointment with your boat mechanic.
- Hull considerations: Start with fixing any abrasions, gouges and scratches. Small imperfections can become larger problems, so addressing them before you are on the water is a good idea. Check the rudder and fittings. If your boat has swim platforms or ladders, these are an accident waiting to happen if you do not check their integrity. Make sure they stay attached and that all connections remain without corrosion.
- If it concerns you, address it with a boat mechanic soon: If there were repair concerns remaining when you put your boat in storage, do not put it on the water until you address them. Sputtering, electrical quirks and other issues that made your cruising a nervous endeavor last year will still be there this year. The same is true if an early spring cruise revealed reduced performance or other disturbing developments. Do not take guests or family out until these issues are addressed.
For major boat repair in Hesperia, CA, contact Rezurxn Speed and Marine today. We can help with maintenance and repair to get you enjoying the water safely this summer.